Wednesday, April 2, 2008

ADDDDDDDDDD...

Please read this entire blog. It's thought-provoking and may help you think twice about popping your next pill.

It's about
10:41, just got home from anatomy class and got ready for bed, wearing my Lush mask and am just so excited I have time for an entry. I have had a lot of people email me and ask me to research certain topics ... still working on those...they're comin' but I just have to write about this first.


So aside from learning about the various parts of the brain today, oh and the nerves, we had the fortune of getting our lovely tests back; the one on the muscles where you had to know each origins and insertions along with other wonderful facets of the muscles. I know I said that no matter what I would get an A, but I didn't. I didn't even get close to
an A. I got a non-A. Whatever, I'm not giving up. I have a new method of studying. I'll let you know if it works out. Anyway, it got me thinking, this non-A, about the ways I had been studying and I recently was confronted with something that has really struck me and has been making me more observant of my thought patterns and behaviors. I saw a certified "eastern" doctor who thinks I should get checked for ADD/ADHD. Well, to be completely honest this isn't much of a shocker for me and apparently for a few of my friends who told me they weren't surprised (nervous laugh). Yeah, I guess it really would explain a few things. I have not been tested as of yet, but in the next few weeks I will be; but like I said, I have been really observant of my thought patterns and behaviors. I then got to thinking about people I know with ADD or ADHD and the common medications they take or have taken and I think oh my goodness, it's seems like that's really addictive toxic stuff.

So first off, what is ADD/HD (I don't even really know, so let me find a good link)? I found two different websites: 1. Attention Deficit Disorder Association 2. Born To Explore the Other Side of ADD.

Now looking for the actual definition of just ADD on the ADDA.org website is impossible. It's the freakin' association!!! and I still cannot find it anywhere on the site where it's easily accessible. I found solutions, articles, etc. but no simple definition. So went on Wikipedia for a quickie definition: "is a developmental disorder." When I looked up the definition of neurobehavioral, I got this: "...of or pertaining to an approach to studying behavior that stresses the importance of nerve and brain function."

Ok so the definition found on the second website, Born to Explore the Other Side of ADD I got this definition: "Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADD/ADHD, is a psychological term currently applied to anyone who meets the DSM IV diagnostic criteria for impulsivity, hyperactivity and/or inattention. The diagnostic criteria are subjective and include behavior which might be caused by a wide variety of factors, ranging from brain defects to allergies to giftedness. ADD, as currently defined, is a highly subjective description, not a specific disease." And very quickly here is a website explaining the differences between ADD and ADHD.

So that was two totally different definitions, however, the most seemingly "reliable" of them both, ADDA, also states: "There is no cure..." and "There is no research proving that other treatments, such as neurobiofeedback, nutritional supplements, hypnosis, visual therapy, or changes in the diet are effective in relieving AD/HD symptoms."

Contrarily, the Born to Explore websites
states all the possible reasons people might get ADD or ADHD - - nutrition being one of them: Reasons

Ok, my point with sharing both websites is not to show who's right and who's wrong, because frankly, I don't know enough about these disorders to say so. But what I can say is that ADDA is telling people that there is absolutely no cure! And in another section is says that nutrition plays no part in controlling or improving your symptoms. Why would you try shutting down a person's chance for possibility and hope??! Just terrible.

Now, granted no degree yet, but I highl
y disagree with A. telling people that something is impossible because I feel there is always a possibility for change, or in this case a cure. People will believe that, and that is absolutely not true B. that nutrition could not help the symptoms ------ bssssssssssssssht.

Here's a pretty good website on the history of ADD. See how there are cases in the early part of the 20th Century even some documented in the very latter part of the 19th Century. I am not denying that the symptoms of ADD or ADHD have been around for centuries, but I will say that in the early part of the 20th Century, a little thing called food pres
ervatives was invented by Lloyd August Hall, an African American chemist. Pretty cool that a black person was able to practice during this time, but pretty uncool that on the ADDA website (the main source for this information) that there isn't really a connection made between food preservatives and ADD/ADHD.

So let's just go back to Wikipedia for a second, not the most reliable source, but I think for this it is. When you look up preservative and then scroll down to Health Concerns, you'll find this:

Some modern synthetic preservatives have become controversial because they have been shown to cause respiratory or other health problems. Many studies point to synthetic preservatives and artificial coloring agents aggravating ADD & ADHD symptoms in those affected.[1][2] Older studies were inconclusive quite possibly due to inadequate clinical methods of measuring offending behavior. Parental reports were more accurate indicators of the presence of additives than clinical tests. [3] Several major studies show academic performance increased and disciplinary problems decreased in large non-ADD student populations when artificial ingredients, including preservatives were eliminated from school food programs.

Let me also point out that on this website, it states this for ADHD: "Ironically, there is no fool proof method to determine whether a person has ADHD. Additionally, in 1998 at the National Institutes of Health Consensus on ADHD, the following statement was issued: 'We do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there is no data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction.'"

The lines are clearly very fishy. Do you really think back in the day, when people ate earth foods and used herbs as medication that there were many people suffering from ADD or ADHD? Check this website for the present day statistics. It's scary stuff. What we put in our mouth MATTERS! Preservatives matter! These are not good things to consume. Sure people are living until 100 years old, but quality of life is the key.

Image copyright Youth Change Workshops
www.youthchg.com,and is used by permission

So if you're suffering from ADD or ADHD here are a list of medications they pass out like candy - Here's the full (long) list and here's the list we will work with:

RITALIN (ADD)
and
ADDERALL (ADHD)


I am going to first start off and say, anything with a side effect, any over-the-counter meds you take, etc. ANYTHING with a side effect is BAD for you. If it was good for you, it wouldn't have a side effect, which means that by taking a certain medication to remedy a specific symptom you are actually harming something else in your body. It's like if your arm was broken, why would you then break your leg to make the arm feel better?? AAAAAAAAAAAH! It's stupid!

SO we all know what Ritalin is. I don't think I need to really get into that. I just know that a crap load of kids in college took that to stay up to study or just for some good times. I always viewed it as the cheap-man's cocaine (and this is commonly given to children). Take a look at some of the side effects (just some).

In addition, Ritalin has a high case of abuse. Meaning, people who take it are addicted to it and according to RitalinAddiction.com:

Because stimulant medicines such as Ritalin have such a high potential for abuse, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has placed tight, Schedule II controls on their manufacture, distribution, and prescription. For example, the DEA requires special licenses for these activities, and prescription refills are not allowed. Also, each state may impose further regulations and restrictions, such as limiting the number of dosage units per prescription.

Let's take a look at Adderall. Like, Ritalin, Adderall is abused by people without the prescription as well as those taking the prescription. Here's some more information concerning Adderall. Wikipedia furthers that "Adderall is a pharmaceutical psycho stimulant composed of mixed amphetamine salts. The drug is used primarily to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy."

Ok, I have a question, how can something efficiently treat BOTH a sleeping disorder and ADHD? It doesn't make sense to me considering that both disorders are EXTREMELY different. Just something to think about. Then look at the side effects in children and adults.

I'm not getting into it 100% because this entry is SUPER long, but I know people taking this and it effects them whether they realize it or not. I mean, if you've have been taking these meds since you were a teenager, so for around 10 years - what has this done to your brain?? And if we look at the definitions of ADD and ADHD, they are very unclear. Doctors even admit that there is no specific test to really know whether or not you have these disorders. So if everything is so unclear, why the hell would you put a child or an adult on something that is so harmful to them and could severely mess things up in the neurological department. Hey, like I said, I'm just a student, but I would say that my feelings towards these disorders and their appropriate medications are fairly accurate.

So why throw people medications instead of using a more natural approach to combating ADD and ADHD. First off, people believe anything, especially if a situation is being handled by a certified doctor. I mean, this is why these guys go to school for like 100 years. They do know a lot more than the normal lay person about medical stuff, but how much time do they have to really research the specifics. Not only that, they are basically made to give these medications out by the pharmaceutical companies. It all comes down to profit, my friends. And you can choose or not choose to believe that, but it's not surprise that everything is done for a profit. So hello, we have the knowledge at our fingertips with the internet and let's not forget about good ole fashion library. Researching and educating oneself is the best solution. Remember, at one time remedies were just herbs and foods - - why should that necessarily change to cocaine-like substances that have long term damaging effects on the body?

Here's just one website for the natural approaches to combating ADD/ADHD.

And here's some more websites to look at:
Demystify ADD/ADHD
Native Remedies
ADD/ADHD Advances

And there are a ton more. Just google it and read about it. Why make additional problems in your body in order to remedy, not eliminate, one problem??? Think about it.

So I leave you once again with the words of the Father of Medicine, Hippocrates: "Let food be thy medicine." It will never disappoint and no matter how difficult it may be to achieve, it will cure everything.

2 comments:

Youth Change said...

I'm glad you liked our site's art so much that you added it to your most recent post but it is original art that is covered by copyright. Would you be kind enough to add attribution? Please note by the art: Image copyright Youth Change Workshops www.youthchg.com>, and is used by permission. Please make the link to our site a clickable link. Thanks so much for helping us maintain our copyright over our original art that is proprietary to our website. If you need to reach me, please contact dwells@youthchg.com. Thanks.

Mother Health said...

Thank you. I will be more careful to add the copyright!