Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Confessions of a Sugar Addict...

People, I have a major confession. Major. It's a little tough for me to say since I feel like such a hypocrite, but we have such a close relationship and all, that I feel the need to be brutally honest.

Hi, my name is Amanda, and I'm a sugar/ soy latte addict. Well, I've been one since July 4th weekend and I need help! Yes, for the most part I eat really well, but since that weekend I cannot seem to be able to shake my need for more sugar and caffeine! So take yesterday, for example, I woke up after being up quite late writing my final paper for my Interpersonal Communication class (take this class if you want to learn how to communicate and solve disagreements amicably with loved ones... and take it with Danielle Parks at Santa Monica College - best prof. ever!). Anyway, so I was exhausted from writing a paper and found that to justify my need to get a soy latte, but not just a soy latte, a vanilla soy latte, adding that extra sugar to my day! Then I got to work, forgetting to bring my breakfast consisting of fresh fruit, and instead grabbed a bowl of Kashi Mountain Medley from work's kitchen. Now, to some granola seems healthy, but granola actually has no real beneficial substance and so the carbs are just turning into sugar in my stomach. So for lunch I had a salad, hooray. And for dinner I went to my favorite place, the Vegan Joint, had my Chef's Salad with brown rice and a whole coconut to drink and eat and then went home and realized that we had cookies, big cookies! And had to eat two. I couldn't even control myself. Now, this may not seem so bad. But try over the weekend when I got so weak in the knees I could hardly speak after passing a candy store. I just HAD to get chocolate covered gummi bears, and for those of you who have had the pleasure of sampling such delightful pieces of heaven, know and understand that temptation is too strong to resist their divine taste. Oh and that's in addition to having four cookies an Ultimate from Coffee Bean (at least I shared that with Michael), a strawberry margarita, nachos, let's not even mention my vanilla soy lattes everyday last week (it was a hard week)and the list embarrassingly goes on.

It's just proof that it is so easy to get addicted to sugar. I mean, this has been going on since the 4th of July weekend and it's so hard to stop. MAKE IT STOP! So I gave away my copy of Sugar Blues, so just reordered it for only $0.90 and will reread it to remind myself what sugar does to my body. To help remedy the withdrawal in the next couple weeks, I have purchased more fruit than I normally would and plan to excavate my fridge for any unwanted friends like my cookies. Another very important key to remember is, BRING SNACKS WITH YOU EVERYWHERE. This significantly cuts down my need to go searching for something to eat when I get bored, when I start to get a little hungry or even a sugar craving.

Are any readers out there having a problem??? Shall we start a weekly Sugar Anonymous meeting. I mean sugar is a drug... and a bad drug at that. But email me if you're having a problem and let's get rid of the sugar and caffeine (minus green tea).

So starting tomorrow I am going to just document my eating habits for all of you to see, and I will find ways to win my battle with sugar. Good luck to me.

No comments: