Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Men Have Periods Too...

Please read the entire thing, however, for those of you who are excited to hear that men have periods too and need to read that section right away to feel good about yourself then scroll down below to the part that says: BUT NEWS FLASH PEOPLE - - MEN HAVE PERIODS TOO! and you will find all the information to back it up!

I am so tired of guys belittling the idea of a woman's period during a fight and using that as a reason for why we are "irrational," "overreacting," or even "raging." So I got into a little tiff with my boyfriend last night, a very innocent tiff, innocent until he said, "Go and have your period or something." But that was after he already said, "I'm not going to tip toe around you when you're PMSing." Excuse me??? (By the way, I have the best boyfriend in the world.)

Ok, first off, let's talk about PMS or Premenstrual Syndrome. Before it was called Premenstrual Syndrome it was called Premenstrual Tension. Woah. That's a warranted name - - inTense. PMS (as defined by Wikipedia):
... Is a collection of physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms related to a woman's menstrual cycle. While most women of child-bearing age (about 80 percent) have some Premenstrual symptoms,[1] women with PMS have symptoms of "sufficient severity to interfere with some aspects of life".[2] Such symptoms are usually predictable and occur regularly during the two weeks prior to menses. The symptoms may vanish after the menstrual flow starts, but may continue even after the flow has begun.

For some women with PMS, the symptoms are so severe that they are considered disabling. This form of PMS has its own psychiatric designation: premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).

Symptoms of PMS include but are not limited to:

  • Abdominal bloating
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Breast tenderness or swelling
  • Stress or anxiety
  • Aggression
  • Trouble falling asleep (insomnia)
  • Joint or muscle pain
  • Inability to finish thoughts
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Acne
  • Extreme tearfulness
  • Mood swings
  • Worsening of existing skin disorders, and respiratory (eg, allergies, infection) or eye (bulbar disturbances, conjunctivitis) problems

Ok, so perhaps a guy has a right to say, "Oh get over it, you're just PMSing." Ok, fine. But understand that the physical, psychological changes that occur in our body warrant our emotions and complaints. Honestly, the male perspective and lack of knowledge of the PMS is not too surprising considering that not much public attention was given to it prior to the 1980's (wikipedia):
... Growing public attention was given to PMS starting in the 1980’s. Up until this point, there was little research done surrounding PMS and it was not seen as a social problem. Through clinical trials and the work of feminists, viewing PMS in a social context had begun to take place.
So what causes PMS? According to the Mayo Clinic:
...Exactly what causes premenstrual syndrome is unknown, but several factors may contribute to the condition. Cyclic changes in hormones seem to be an important cause, because signs and symptoms of premenstrual syndrome change with hormonal fluctuations and also disappear with pregnancy and menopause.

Chemical changes in the brain also may be involved. Fluctuations of serotonin, a brain chemical (neurotransmitter) that is thought to play a crucial role in mood states could trigger the symptoms. Insufficient amounts of serotonin may contribute to premenstrual depression, as well as to fatigue, food cravings and sleep problems

Not to mention there is also a large amount of blood loss which causes fatigue and leads to some emotional problems and major discomfort - - cramps!


BUT NEWS FLASH PEOPLE - -
MEN HAVE PERIODS TOO!


Don't believe me? So I went and googled "Male periods," "Male Monthly Cycles," "Male Hormonal Cycles" and "Male Testosterone Cycles" and here are some of the resources I found:

According to this article on AltPenis, by Paul Aitken:

The idea that men experience a monthly cycle is not new. As early as the 17th century, the Italian physician Santorio Sanctorius, after carefully measuring the weight of his body, along with it's various excretions (Santorio was nothing if not thorough), discovered a monthly cycle in body weight of approximately two pounds. He noted that the peak of the cycle was accompanied by feelings of heaviness and lassitude.

In later centuries there were various attempts to establish the existence of a male cycle. The late decades of the 19th century were a particularly fruitful period for some reason, with a number of authors (Gall, Stephenson and Campbell, if you must know) finding evidence for monthly fluctuations in mood, energy and sex drive. Later in 1929, a study found that men have emotional cycles of about one-month to six-weeks in length (as my friend had suggested). During the low period of the cycle, men were reported to feel apathetic and indifferent. During the high period they reported more energy, a greater sense of well-being, and lower body weight.

There is a male period, but of course it's nothing like that of the female menstrual cycle in the sense that they don't have the physical attributes of a female period, but males experience hormonal shifts and imbalances during the month. A rise of testosterone which can lead to moodiness, increased sexual arousal, depression, etc. This is what we call the Irritable Male Syndrome (IMS). IMS is more similar to Menopause, but still proof that men have cycles. According to psychotherapist Jed Diamond in an article on MediniceNet.com IMS can be defined as:
a state of hypersensitivity, frustration, anxiety, and anger that occurs in males and is associated with biochemical changes, hormonal fluctuations, stress, and loss of male identity.

Diamond furthers that men are as hormonal as women:
... In fact, men have a number of hormonal cycles:

1) Men's testosterone, for instance, varies and goes up and down four or five times an hour.
2) There are daily cycles with testosterone being higher in the morning and lower at night.
3) Men have a monthly hormonal cycle that is unique to each man, but men can actually track their moods and recognize they are related to hormonal changes through the month.
4) We know that there are seasonal cycles with testosterone higher in November and lower in April.
5) We know about hormonal cycles with males during adolescence, but also the years between 40 and 55 have what we call male menopause or Andropause.
6) Finally, we know there are hormonal changes in men going through IMS, related to stress in a man's life.
Ha! And that's only touching the surface of this research! You see, it's not fair that men attempt to shut us up with some period excuse especially since both genders suffer from monthly hormonal cycles. Do we tell you that when you want dinner, sex or football that you must be going through your monthly? So how about a little EMPATHY on the man's part? Realize that just because we may be PMSing, doesn't disparage our feelings. Yes we may be more emotional or possibly irritable, but please don't throw that in our face and make us more upset and hurt. Instead, listen to what we have to say, and you can avoid so much anguish. During anytime of the month, a woman's feelings are warranted and it's cruel to associate and minimize them to something like our periods. But if you do decide to throw the period excuse in our face, you better pray it's not around that time of the month. : )

Check out this video:




31 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're just on your period.

Anonymous said...

Exactly, nicely written.

Anonymous said...

omg. i sooo have IMS. i totally agree with this! im on my man period NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

Anonymous said...

It's all well and good saying men have periods too but male periods create small fluctuations in mood, female periods create huge spikes.

I'm not saying it's women's fault for this but I think you're being very... narrow minded?

You're only seeing your side of the argument, I agree - men need to be more understanding when a woman is on a period but at the same time that doesn't mean we should have to shit down and shut up while you rage at us for something stupid like not feeding the cats or forgetting to go to the shop. Women should also have to realise the only reason they're being so emotional is because of their period and instead of shouting at us they need to calm down a bit.

In a simple conclusion:
-Men need to be more understanding and empathic
-Women need to stop thinking they should be allowed to get away with treating men like crap just because they're on their period.

nunya said...

i completely agree with the person above.
but your evidence of annual rythms and other random time periods sound pretty unjust and like a futile attempt to make men feel what women feel when a man belittles a woman somehow by pointing out the fact that women have a period.
you should try attacking this subject in a less biased manner...then people will actually want to hear what you are saying.

Anonymous said...

man period . . . A.k.a Meriod!!!!!!!! Im a man and I have experienced them and we all have them so if you're in denial, just get over it! it's a true fact!

Joshua M Nelms said...

I agree that I've experienced a man period on multiple occasions but at the same time both sexes have to have self control with our emotions, regardless of our periods. Thats almost like blaming it on the alcohol, sure it affects you greatly, but you still have to take some type of responsibility for your actions..

Anonymous said...

I agree with you guys/girls

Amanda said...

To the person that posted:
"Women need to stop thinking they should be allowed to get away with treating men like crap just because they're on their period."

I don't think that that is a fair judgment to make. Consider your previous statement of "female periods create huge spikes" in their moods. This is true. Which is why when women have their periods, they're often irrational. Women can throw fits over the tiniest thing and not even realize why they're so upset. It's not that they're "treating men like crap," their hormones are just in control of them at that point and those hormones control them, so to speak. They're not intending to yell at you over not going to the store. They're hormones are just controlling them at the moment. So, I think that you're opinion that the author is being narrow-minded is false. We can not control our hormone fluctuation, and sometimes they cause us to overreact. We can't really help it. So, I think it's unfair to assume that we think we should be allowed to treat men like crap. We're just not in complete control of our emotions. There's nothing we can really do to help that.

Anonymous said...

I think PMS is all a bunch of horse feathers. Doesn't exist, neither do 80% of the women bitching about it.

ΔMΔNDΔ KOBRITZ said...

You're obviously a man and retarded. But that's ok.

Anonymous said...

you're obviously a retarded women on her period. But that's ok.

Anonymous said...

you're obviously a retarded woman on her periods. But that's ok.

Anonymous said...

Melissa says...
I honestly came across this because whenever Im about to start my period my brother(whom Im very close with) starts acting like an irratable asshole. Me being a female, Im emotional on my period so I was wondering if men had periods because it seems like once a month my brother is very mean.I think whoever blogged this has helped me have a better understanding..I didnt believe men had periods Im very surprised.I 100% believe men have periods now,because I know I have seen it first hand now I thought he was just an ass but maybe I should be more understanding seems how I would like guys to be more understanding about me when I have that time of the month. Pretty cool subject to talk about.

Anonymous said...

omg!! this explains so much ahahah dude my man jst tripped on me and im on my rag lol i guess we get it at the same time of the month lmfao awesome

Dan said...

LoL! Women are hilarious. Lets review your logic. You say "when I'm on my period and I'm being irrational and over emotional my boyfriend/brother acts like a jerk. Hmmm.... you don't suppose you're perceiving him as being this way because YOU are over emotional and irrational do you? Look I agree that men should belittle women about having their period but so many women use it as an excuse to be a mean or irrational.

To put it simply: if you don't want men to say "you're just on your period" then you can't say "well that's because I'm on my period"

Anonymous said...

i need my manpon so i can stick in my anal hole. blood is flowing. since i have my period

Anonymous said...

I've noticed I get a man period and I'm only 18. I've recorded my mood on a calendar and every 45 to 50 days i can expect a 2-5 day period of intense sexuality (often accompanied by the depression caused by sexual rejections from my girlfriend). If i get rejected on any other day i'll be fine about it and we'll just go out or something but during that 5 day period my head is really a mess.

Anonymous said...

Okay now wait a second all of you are only looking at the emotional part of having a "period". But if you read carefully up on it its not just blood flowing from the vagina, irratiablity, fatigue, ect. You also have to think of the person as an individual. I'll use myself as an example im bipolar. I have inherited this from both my mother and father. Father is Puerto Rican, and Apache. Mother is German(Pennsylvania Dutch), Cheeroke, and American. So I'm one hell of a mixture and all this combind plays a huge role in who I am as a person. They have to to do with chemical inbalances in the brain. Neurons sending electrical impluses throughtout the different parts of the brain cause each individual to react differently. So you see its not as simple as, "O, she's easily irritated so she must be on her period. Maybe it's because she's bipolar or maybe its because she asked you to perform a simple task and it was not accomplished. So try to be understanding of one another and find a happy medium. My apologies for my spelling.

Anonymous said...

2 things,
1. yes I believe this is true. I am a male and I definitely get depressed seemingly randomly about once a month.
2. You really shouldn't group all of us into one big mean group of "men" who are all jerks about periods. Not all of us are that way and it is insulting to be judged with everyone else. I do nothing but serve my girlfriend when she is pmsing. She will tell you the same thing...

Anonymous said...

men have periods each month a man will pee a little blood but to little 2 notess

Anonymous said...

Wow, I know I am quite late in responding in this, but I have to say I'm severely disappointed in most of the comments on this post.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of men having "periods" as I have not looked into it myself, but I definitely relate to wanting to try an explain how hurtful it is when a man negates a statement a woman makes simply because, "Oh, you only feel that way because you're on your period."

For one, if a woman is *completely* flipping out over absolutely nothing, then she is most likely experiencing PMDD and truly does not have a lot of control over her reactions. For the most part, when a woman is upset about something while PMSing or while she is on her period, it is something she would have been upset about even if she was *not* in that condition. Just because it makes you tear up more easily or feel more irritable does NOT mean it actually creates emotions for you that you wouldn't normally feel. For instance, let’s say someone spills coffee on your favorite shirt. Now, that's going to be at least slightly upsetting at *anytime*. But, let’s say someone spills coffee on your favorite shirt when you've only been getting 5 hours of sleep a night for the past week – wouldn’t it, as an upsetting situation in general, feel even MORE upsetting under those conditions? And now, let’s say you get a little upset at this person for not being more careful with their coffee and - instead of apologizing or being willing to talk it out - completely negates your feelings by saying, “Oh please – you’re only upset about this because you’re tired.” Pretty aggravating, I would say.

Also, hormones are hormones – no, a woman should not use her period to go batshit crazy, but to say that all of the physical and mental side-effects caused by the fluctuations in hormones women experience during PMS/menses are irrational excuses that should be thrown in their faces at any opportunity is complete misogyny and shows an utter disrespect for women and their health.

Anonymous said...

I believe men have periods, I experience depression and a loss in the sex drive but I also realize there is a cause to this besides a monthly cycle, I often lose the drive for sex when I've been having alot if sex or preforming sexual acts, from having sex or preforming sexual acts to the point I lose my sex drive I become depressed. Now I don't get my panties in a knot like alot of women, nor do I complain to my girlfriends (during this time) about small petty things or about having sex too much, I generally stay my course and get through it. The problems, I believe, that men have with women's periods are:
1. They can't have sex during the time.
2. Women seem to be alot more sensitive about everything and instead of biting thier lip and taking it they complain about anything.
3. We don't think it's fair that your period makes it so you can't do things that you normally do for us that other wise most men would be lost without (dinner, taking care of children, cleaning, etc. Depending on how your relationship works and who is suppose to do what.)

Now women you can deal with this because I have had multiple girlfriends who can take the jokes when they are on thief period, for instance the first time I told my current girlfriend she smelled good she was on her period and it has happens twice since then. Other times I have told women they were posing when they in fact were and they did realize this and didn't stop complaining to me about the petty things.

Anonymous said...

I do think the stuff about male cycles including male monthly cycles is true, but near the end when the author tells men to listen is stupid. the average woman talks way more than the average man about 3 times as much. And men have actually adapted to this by becoming "deaf" to what women say when they talk too much and sometimes men real men men that actually have the balls to stand up for themselves will just get up and walk away when the women or anyone else in their lives is being irrational overly emotional and won't shut up. men should be a little more empathetic i agree but to expect them to listen to someone who is being bitchy because "it will avoid anguish" is stupid because it won't. And if you don't believe me try to actually stay in the same room with someone just anyone who is being bitchy and irrational for five seconds it does not matter if that person is acting that way because he/she is experiencing his or her monthly cycle IT SUCKS. No baaaaaaaaaaaad idea this is what i recommend people do if a person is being moody and talking isn't going to help don't try listening get away from that person and let that person sort out his/her emotions. If you can just get the fuck out stay at a hotel if you have to and come back when that person stops acting like such a bitch.

S.B. said...

It's one thing if a man tells a raging woman "you're just PMSing" when he forgot to feed the cat; it's an entirely other thing when if a man tells a raging woman "you're just PMSing" when he forgot to feed the cat and the cat died.

What the author is trying to say is that men often refer to a woman's period even when she is in the middle of her cycle and even if they deserve to be scolded.
This is why understanding that men also experience changes is important - this way they will not use the degrading "go have your period already" at wrong times.

Audra said...

This blog was very useful. My husband has been so irritable a week before I start my period, that I came on to see if men experience "sympathy" type "pms" like some men can experience "sypmathy" cravings when their wives are pregnant. He is almost in every category of the "IMS" diagnoses, which has been going on for a few years, which explains him to a "t". Yes women and men have hormonal fluctuations; once we know what our partner is going through then we can be more understanding and patient. Nothing is more immature than a guy saying to a girl who may or may not be on her cycle that "you're just on the rag" and other stupid comments like that. All that does is anger people even more. So my almost 51 yr old husband is hormonally transitioning...I can be patient with that. I think most women can cause we can sympathize if not empathize with our spouse/partner. Can you men do the same? And don't tell me men aren't hormonal...I work with 78 of them on the fire department. I'm only one of 2 females.

Anonymous said...

I am a woman who admittedly goes through PMDD symptoms. I have the greatest husband, who is usually very supportive about this issue. He and I both know what my symptoms are and when they will occur and we have acknowledged the fact that we must "take cover" during that time, so the ride has become pretty easy for us. I usually end up in bed while he tends to our son, simple right? No! Lately, I'd say the last seven months, I have noticed that my husband has his own cycle and symptoms. I have thought it to be his "monthly cycle" because he experiences what I experience in my cycle as often as I do. Of course he doesn't bleed so no need for a manpon, nor does he bloat, have migraines or trouble eating like I do, but he has symptoms that usually include anger, depression, lack of tolerance, inability to relate, and he's snappy and easily frustrated. It used to be that he'd have his cycle before or after mine, now its during the same week as mine! It has been extremely hard taking care of everyone and everything since this started happening... I can't meet my husbands needs because I'm laid up and he can't meet mine because he's laid up. I end up with the chores and the kid while he works. We've got it all worked out but I'm exhausted with dealing with two periods now!!! Instead of bickering on this blog about the truth, why not just go prove to us women that you guys don't have hormone and chemical cycle fluctuations by acting like normal, caring, strong, reverent men that have that nuts to act tough 24/7 like you ding dongs think you do! Stop proving to us that you have chemical/hormonal fluctuations if you don't want us to think that... and stop bickering with the superior gender... you do know that all men were female eggs just lucky enough to avoid the x chromosome and become the so-called men you all are, right? Grow up boys, time to take the big boy medicine, you have periods to! REMEMBER MEN, YOU ARE ALL HALF WOMAN!

Anonymous said...

To all the immature males on here. When you have to birth a baby out of your peewhole, you will be able to bitch about a womens period. Girls are always trying to impress you ignorant ass wholes for some reason and you bitch about a period..God created the friggen vagina for you..Yes YOU.. And you take advantage of it so dont bitch about something that comes once every month and only lasts a week.

AW17 said...

ok, both sides are seeing this in the extreme-yes women have emotional spikes that cause them to say stuff that, in reality, they don't really mean. Some women also just say I'm PMSing as an excuse-also true, but that doesn't negate the fact that sometimes when women are on their period, they just blow up for 5 or 10 minutes before they realize what they're saying. It sucks. Women should try to chill a little and be aware of when they're raging, but men should be understanding and try to shake things off and not take it personally when women are legitimately PMSing.

AW17 said...

ok, both sides are seeing this in the extreme-yes women have emotional spikes that cause them to say stuff that, in reality, they don't really mean. Some women also just say I'm PMSing as an excuse-also true, but that doesn't negate the fact that sometimes when women are on their period, they just blow up for 5 or 10 minutes before they realize what they're saying. It sucks. Women should try to chill a little and be aware of when they're raging, but men should be understanding and try to shake things off and not take it personally when women are legitimately PMSing.

Anonymous said...

For those guys out there that think that women intentionally treat men like crap and use a period excuse to get away with it, get over yourselves. Some bitchy girls can be like that but most of us try to manage our emotions and censor what we say and do, however, sometimes we can't do anything about our mood swings (much like you) and act on impulse. Usually, if we do snap at someone, guilt follows. It's not a question of conscience but of battling natural psychological urges.