Wednesday, February 11, 2009

History of Neti Pot


Living in LA with the pollution, pollen, dust, whatever, you realize how much your allergies, sinuses and overall body are effected and suffer. Even today I woke up with a terrible sinus headache right on my temples and behind my ears. Yuck. I believe it was last year that I discussed neti pots, but now I need to buy my own and get going on what seems to be the answer to all my respiratory problems. It appears to be the BEST natural way to get rid of the common cold, sinuse infections, etc.

Nasal irrigation has been used by practitioners of Ayurvedic and yoga in India for thousands of years. Jala Neti, or neti pot, is one of six purification techniques used to prepare the body for yoga. Jala Neti, though relatively less known in Western culture, is a common practice in parts of India and other areas in South Asia where it is as routine as brushing one's teeth and washing one's face. It is recommended to perform this nasal irrigation once in the morning and once at night, but I read it can be done up to four times a day. Of course, this varies from person to person cause well, if you haven't noticed by now, everyone is different. So do your own research!

The nasal passage is considered to be the doorway to many illnesses and diseases and keeping those passages clear and mucous membranes moist can help prevent these problems from plaguing your body including upper respiratory tract infections, fever, allergies, etc. The saline solution is a smooth and non-invasive procedure. I don't see any bad side effects from doing this, but if you know of any, COMMENT!

Ok, now a video: Spring Cleaning For Your Nose



No comments: