Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Bus?! Yes, the Bus.


So... I am now officially a bus rider, bus taker, public transporter. My recent car accident is leaving me car-less for a while. My insurance money for a rental car ran out yesterday and I have the choice of paying out of pocket for a rental car while I wait for the check for my totaled car, or take the bus. I choose bussin' it. Why?
  1. I feel there's a major freedom when you live in LA without a car.
  2. I enjoy the fact that I am contributing to the environment by using public transportation.
  3. It takes the same amount of time to get to work as it did when I drove my car - - no joke.
  4. I calculated that each time I drove to and from work, I spent a total of about $4-6 in gas per day (depending on traffic), vs. $3 or less per day for a bus ride.
  5. I read on the bus.

HOW RAD IS THAT!?

Now I am just at the beginning stages of using public transportation. I am not sure whether I will take my insurance money and buy a new car, or save it and use it for future plans of travel. But if I do decide to save my money, if I am really itching to get out of town, say to Joshua Tree, or have a ton of errans to run on the weekend, I am saving so much money from not paying car payments and car insurance which added to about $500/ month, that I can easily afford to rent a car! It's awesome. People are really trying to persuade me to buy a cheap used car, but honestly? Why!? Because it's so common in LA? Who cares?! Get back to me in a few weeks and we'll see if I change my mind. But right now, I really like the luxury of reading on my way home, being a friend to the environment and smiling at the strangers on the bus.

No comments: