Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weekly Meal Planning

Listening to Duran Duran's Save a Prayer. Sigh. They make me so happy.

It's pretty late and I just returned home from grocery shopping at Ralph's. I purchased all organic produce, bought some pretty nail polish, miso soup, Oolong tea and sparkling water. I'm pooped, but ready for bed with my retainer in my mouth and just had the urge to say hello to you all and blog. I realize that after spending $70 on all my groceries without knowing what I will cook this week is sort of waste. I have to make sure that I use all my food so that nothing is thrown out.

Last week, my friend Kristin came over with yummy Indian food. I made a salad and we caught up on our lives. Kristin recently moved in with her lovely boyfriend and together they were looking for ways to save their money so they could save up for their future together. She told me one of the things that has saved her a tremendous amount of money is cooking every meal they eat. To do this efficiently she started to make weekly meal plans so that everything she buys will be used and nothing put to waste. While it seems tedious, she has a routine. The day before she goes grocery shopping, she researches her recipes and allocates them to the days she wishes to cook and eat them. Cooking takes patience and times, but it's a joy to be in the kitchen and create something from scratch. For two people she has managed to cut her food costs down to $50. That's only $200 a month! And she's eating right. She does not live near a farmer's market, so she shops at Whole Foods and finds produce that's on sale. I just spent $70 on food that will last me only a week and I'm just one person! Well, we won't count the nail polish.

One of my goal's as a future nutrition guru is to make people realize that eating right, staying healthy can be so inexpensive and easy. Let's learn from Kristin and try her method out! Pull out the cookbooks and expand our minds and get back in the kitchen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$200 a month is alot to spend for only 2 people....

Anonymous said...

HI Amanda this is your cousin Lauren and I was reading your blog, and I got to the part were your friend spends $200 dollars a month.. That is to much money for 2 people. I spend $120 at the most and that is for two people.

Mother Health said...

I realize you spend $120, but what are you buying? You can easily spend way less, but how healthy is the food? Farmer's markets are a good thing cause you can try and spend less, but some people don't have one near them.

Can you give me an example of your grocery list? Thanks, Love!

Mother Health said...

Just to let you know, my friend who spends $200 is purchasing all organic, quality food. Her budget is bigger for food because that is the area of her life that is most important to her. She cuts back on other area. xoxo