Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lentil Soup for the Sick...


I have not been sick in almost two years. And while most would concur that I am definitely sick, I refuse to admit it because giving into the sickness makes things always worse. So despite my symptoms, I came to work. I woke up yesterday morning unable to swallow, with a sinus headache, body aches and chills. Mind over matter! And that's not a 'West Coast' thing as some East Coast skeptic/friend brought to my attention yesterday, it's a common sense thing - - our minds control our bodies and all it's functions, duh! The mind is far more powerful than we realize, if you believe you are well and healthy, your body follows suit and heals faster. Anyway, so it was a bit late to prevent the sickness, but to remedy it as fast as possible, mind over matter still is important. I went home early yesterday, laid in bed all afternoon, listened to a ton of Catherine Wheel and watched many Netflix Instant Watch movies. I slept most of the day and in between all of that, managed to make the most delicious and easiest Lentil Soup. It took about 20 min. with hardly any preparation needed... and it's freaking CHEAP!


EASY LENTIL SOUP FOR THE SICK

Trader Joe's Ready to Eat Steamed Lentils
Trader Joe's Mirepoix
3 cups of boiling water

Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme for taste
2 tablespoons butter/ or sesame oil for you vegans
2 Cloves of Garlic


Turn on your tea kettle to bring the 3 cups of water to a boil by the time you have everything ready. In a pot, saute the Mirepoix and the butter for about 10 min. Add some pepper and salt for taste. Next put in the Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils. Mix for about 3 min. During those three min. add more salt and pepper, thyme and with a garlic press - squeeze the two cloves of garlic for taste. Add your boiling water to the mix. Let simmer, while occasionally stirring for 10 - 15 min. Add the more seasoning for taste. Tasting is the key to delicious food. VOILA! Delicious, easy lentil soup and enough for a couple days. I had two bowls yesterday and passed out.

And now I leave you with early 90's Catherine Wheel's really good song, but not so awesome video for Black Metallic (thanks Sarah):





1 comment:

www.muebles-en-ourense.com said...

In my opinion everybody must go through it.