Wednesday, February 29, 2012

juice → soup (how to not let anything waste when juicing)


Now that I've taken this Leap of Faith, more like Leap of Life having quit my corporate job and live off a small amount of savings, a part time job and Etsy sales, my income is sparse and I have to make due with what I have, and be smart about waste.  This entire amount of fruit and veggies cost me $5.50 at the Korean market, so I'm afraid, it's only partially organic.  Nonetheless, I washed the fruit and veggies to the best of my ability and made this intensely delicious juice above.

Chard + Parsley + Fuji Apple + Carrot + Ginger



With the leftover pulp I made a yummy lentil soup.  I used the pulp as the base for the stock of the soup.  First I sauteed the pulp in a pot with 2 tablespoons of butter and of walnut oil.  I added sea salt and pepper for taste  and threw in a diced onion.  I added about 10 cups of water (that will vary depending on your amount of pulp) and let that come to a boil and then bring to a simmer for a couple hours.  Add more sea salt to the water, taste for flavor and adjust appropriately.  About 1.5 - 2 hours later, throw in some lentils and some other legumes.  I added mung beans to the mix.  Mung beans act like a thickening agent to the stock as they soften.  About 2 hours after that, I had a delicious vegetable, lentil, mung bean soup.

Stir often.
Wing it.
Practice often and then cooking starts to get pretty easy.
✌   


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can attest this soup was beyond restaurant quality. I want it again!!!