Friday, March 16, 2012

CHEAP EAT: SALMON



Doing the best I can with what I have...

Just because I'm the opposite of rich doesn't mean I have to eat poorly.  I manage to eat very well because I know how to shop and prepare simple meals.  I purchased a rather large piece of salmon at Fresh & Easy yesterday for $5.99.  I think most people would crucify me because I purchased farm raised, but the reality is, if I want salmon I can't be picky on my current salary.  I prepared that with a side of shredded cabbage that was sautéed in 1 tblspn water + 1 tblspn unsalted butter + sea salt n pepper.  The entire head of cabbage was $0.50.  This meal cost about $1.80 and that includes a sliver of salmon, cabbage, apple + almonds.  I was full.

Salmon Preparation: I seasoned the salmon with sea salt, pepper and cut up a grapefruit that was lying around, placed slices on top of salmon and roasted everything together at 350 for 12 minutes and it came out totally tender and amazing.  This piece of salmon fed me for lunch (see photo), dinner - with soba noodles and more cabbage, salmon for my eggs with spinach this morning, salmon for my large dinner salad tonight and mayPublish Postbe even tacos with veggies tomorrow.

No comments: